Read on for information about our various events, then click the "Get Involved" tab above to complete a Volunteer Interest Form!
2017 - 2018 Events
September / October:
2017 - 2018 Events
September / October:
- Fun Run: Allen's primary fund raiser encourages kids to "Get Movin'" as they gather pledges to support the school by funding field trips, assemblies, summer enrichment workbooks, teacher grants, playground equipment, classroom enrichment and more. If each student pledges $50, we will reach our goal and be able to confidently continue supporting all Allen students. Event Chair for 2017 - 2018 is Michele Barkoot. Committee members are: Noureen Vaid, Heidi Harris, Adrian Dantzer, Pooja Varma, and Kristen Muelhauser.
- Trunk or Treat: This is an opportunity for the kids to get dressed up in their costumes, hang out with their school friends, and have fun together! Approximately 15 trunks will hand out candy / trinkets, and the kids can also play on the playground. Event Chair for 2017 - 2018 is Michele Barkoot.
- Barnes & Noble Book Fair: Coordinate the Barnes & Noble fair in December and/or the Scholastic fair in March to earn funds to keep our school library collection current and encourage all students to enjoy reading. Event chair for 2017 - 2018 is Michele Barkoot.
- No events scheduled at this time
- Tile Wall Dedication / Roaming Appetizers: Every 6 years, Allen students create tiles based on a theme. Those tiles are then assembled into a work of art in part of our school. This event is to unveil our new tile wall from the 2016 - 2017 school year, and to provide light refreshments to our guests. Event chair needed.
- School Play: New for 2017 - 2018! We are so excited to offer our 1st-5th graders the opportunity to participate in a Broadway-style musical production right here at our own school – School House Rock, Jr., LIVE! Students will experience the entire process: auditions, rehearsals, and the excitement of production week; wrapping up with performances in front of audiences full of friends, families, neighbors and the community-at-large. Event chair for 2017 - 2018 is Caitlin Rowe.
- Scholastic Book Fair: Coordinate the Scholastic book fair in March to earn funds to keep our school library collection current and encourage all students to enjoy reading. Event co-chair for 2017 - 2018 is Alicia Carroll (co-chair needed).
- Multicultural Night: Allen School is privileged to be one of the most culturally diverse elementary schools in Ann Arbor. We have population representing over 100 countries. We celebrate this diversity with a multicultural potluck every year. This is a great opportunity for Allen families to mingle and taste cuisines from around the world. To top it all off, there are multicultural performances by various local artists. It is one of the most-popular and anticipated events of the school year. Event chair for 2017 - 2018 is Heidi Harris.
- Disability Awareness Workshop: This educational and informative program is supported by AAPS and offers 4th graders the opportunity to experience some of the challenges faced by individuals with disabilities. Details are available at https://sites.google.com/site/aapsdaw/. Event chair for 2017 - 2018 is Laura Hurst.
- Science Olympiad: A county-wide event for 2nd-5th grade students. It is usually held on a weekend in May at Pioneer High School. The students may select up to three events or more, if they can manage, out of 15-18 events available to them, or express interest in a new topic (subject to availability of coach). From February to May these students work with a coach learning and polishing their skills in after-school hours or on the weekends (subject to coach availability). This year the Science Olympiad will be held on May 12, 2018 at Pioneer High School. Event chairs for 2017 - 2018 are Doug Hargett, Kim Bonenberger and Anthony Gugino. (Allen Science Olympiad Committee members provide following support: coach a topic, arrange volunteers for clean up after coaching sessions, organize team t-shirts, create Allen science olympiad banner, organize Raffle basket of at least $100 face value, verify parent volunteers, prepare name tags as per WESO directions, organize Science Olympiad potluck, provide other necessary help to coaches or to the Committee)
- Country Fair: Celebrate the end of the year with games, food, and activities ... all on the Allen campus. Event chair for 2017 - 2018 is needed.
- Movie Nights: Held in the Allen Great Room on select Fridays during the fall and/or winter, these events offer a chance for families to enjoy a FREE movie. Concessions are available for purchase. Proceeds support the efforts of the Allen Parent Council. Event chairs for 2017 - 2018 needed.
- Grade Level Fun Nights: $50 per year is available to each grade level to host a Fun Night. Fun Nights are arranged and chaperoned by parents - be creative! Event chairs needed.
- Restaurant Nights: Work with local restaurants to book a night where a percentage of proceeds from sales come back to Allen Parent Council. Event chair for 2017 - 2018 is Laurie Massie.